Thursday, October 22, 2009

Hello World

For someone who has made a living with words, I find it ironic that I've concentrated on the spoken word more than the written. Now, as I watch technology continue to evolve, I thought it was time to jump into the blogosphere.

OK, truth is, I read someones' blog the other day and it really hit home. But after I responded to the commentary, I realized I had referred to the content as an "article" rather than a blog. I'll be damned if I'm going to allow myself to become a dinosaur. After all, I still set the electronic clocks on my ovens, radios, and timers, although it would appear I'm no longer needed to provide those tasks with my DVR and clock radios. I've got the lawn sprinkler timer down, but I'm still trying to figure out the digital light timer for my porch. Maybe that's because I need a magnifying glass to read the display.

I'm pretty hung up on time. I still get annoyed because 60 minutes isn't really 60 minutes. And when an announcer says, "we'll be right back" in 60 seconds, you better believe I'm watching the second hand. I won't buy a watch without one.

Last weekend, a friend was showing me his fancy hot water setup and noted, to conserve energy, the system was on a timer. Apparently after 1am and until 5:30am, the system is "off" and no hot water is available. First thing I wondered was what happens if he has a really early morning meeting and needs hot water at 5am? Will he have to climb in the attic and reset the timer? And if there's a power failure in the middle of the night, the hot water won't be available well into the day. That, too, could be a problem. I probably need more important things to worry about. I mean, it's not like it's MY house. And I'm not the one getting a cold shower. Although if he reads this article, uh, blog, I'll probably get the cold shoulder.

Now that I'm part of the 10% of unemployed Americans, I seem to have more time to worry about time. I worry about putting in a full day's effort in seeking my next "opportunity" (don't you hate that word?). I worry about when my savings will be drained. I worry if I can make a decent dollar at whatever job I land. I seem to do a lot of worrying, so imagine my surprise when my doctor told me my blood pressure had fallen twenty points! Maybe I should have been more worried when I was working and didn't have so much time to worry. Now that's irony.

Brevity has never been my strong suit. I can make a point and beat it into the ground. But with the time left in this day, it might be better spent looking for that "opportunity." And your time might be better spent working at keeping the job you have so you don't find yourself with time on your hands. Although you may find it good for your health, you might also be taking a lot of cold showers because of bad timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment